Safety and Responsible Care
Dakota Gas, through its parent company Basin Electric, is using Caterpillar Safety Services Zero-Incident Performance (ZIP™) process to give Basin Electric’s employees and management the framework within which to create a culture of safety.
The campaign is called Our Power, My Safety. The ultimate goal is to build a safety culture where managers and supervisors are visibly committed, involved and performance-focused; employees are actively participating; and the system is flexible and perceived in a positive light.
Since 1988, the U.S. Chemical industry, through the American Chemistry Council, has implemented Responsible Care®, a voluntary program to achieve improvements in environmental, health, security and safety performance beyond levels required by the U.S. government.
The program has resulted in significant reductions in releases to air, land and water, major improvements in workplace and community safety, and expanded programs to research and test chemicals for potential health and environmental impacts.
Responsible Care Guiding Principles
Chemistry is essential to the products and services that help make our lives safer, healthier and better. Through the Responsible Care initiative and the Responsible Care Global Charter our industry has made a worldwide commitment to improve our environmental, health, safety and security performance. Accordingly, we believe and subscribe to the following principles:
- To lead our companies in ethical ways that increasingly benefit society, the economy and the environment.
- To design and develop products that can be manufactured, transported, used and disposed of or recycled safely.
- To work with customers, carriers, suppliers, distributors and contractors to foster the safe and secure use, transport and disposal of chemicals and provide hazard and risk information that can be accessed and applied in their operations and products.
- To design and operate our facilities in a safe, secure and environmentally sound manner.
- To instill a culture throughout all levels of our organizations to continually identify, reduce and manage process safety risks.
- To promote pollution prevention, minimization of waste and conservation of energy and other critical resources at every stage of the life cycle of our products.
- To cooperate with governments at all levels and organizations in the development of effective and efficient safety, health, environmental and security laws, regulations and standards.
- To support education and research on the health, safety, environmental effects and security of our products and processes.
- To communicate product, service and process risks to our stakeholders and listen to and consider their perspectives.
- To make continual progress towards our goal of no accidents, injuries or harm to human health and the environment from our products and operations and openly report our health, safety, environmental and security performance.
- To seek continual improvement in our integrated Responsible Care Management System to address environmental, health, safety and security performance.
- To promote Responsible Care by encouraging and assisting others to adhere to these Guiding Principles.
For more information, please visit the American Chemistry Council's website at www.americanchemistry.com.
Documents to download
Send your questions, concerns or comments. Email Dakota Gas Cares.